Thruxton Supercharged

Good old Brit bikes
User avatar
FrankG
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:03 am
Location: Florida, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby FrankG » Fri May 19, 2017 3:30 am

So the man is back!
Great seeing you around again Scotty!
That's some crazy stuff!
Keep us posted!
User avatar
Sam
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 pm
Location: liverpool

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Sam » Fri May 19, 2017 5:21 am

And I thought I was doing so well with summary you lanky Manc ;)
User avatar
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 am
Location: Wakefield West Yorks

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Rob_Wakey » Fri May 19, 2017 6:09 am

Lovely bit of engineering there Scotty, be interested to hear what it feels like to ride now.
After me you're first :twisted:
User avatar
Yorkie
Site Staff
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Yorkie » Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 am

Looks incredible Scotty. I'm seriously impressed.
User avatar
geno
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:28 pm
Location: SoCal, USA

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby geno » Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Yorkie wrote:Looks incredible Scotty. I'm seriously impressed.


Image

+1, Beautiful!
Last night I felt Immortal.
This morning I feel dead.
Billy
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Billy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 pm

I quite fancied on of those new Triumph Bobbers, but if the engine needs supercharged, I'd best stay clear of Trumpets for the moment. Although I'm told a 3L Rocket is in the pipeline. I wonder what that's like with a Supercharged!!! Next project Scotty??? :D
Scotty
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Scotty » Sat May 20, 2017 3:26 am

Billy wrote:I quite fancied on of those new Triumph Bobbers, but if the engine needs supercharged, I'd best stay clear of Trumpets for the moment. Although I'm told a 3L Rocket is in the pipeline. I wonder what that's like with a Supercharged!!! Next project Scotty??? :D


Hi Geno, Frank, Yorkie and Rob.......................................

Billy I had a ride on a Bobber a few weeks ago (some half-wit I know bought one because he is a posing tosser), engine is in a totally different state of tune than the Thruxton...I liked the Bobber in a Harley cruiser sort of way, really laid back with lots of low end grunt.
As far as the Rocket III goes, I don't know if i ever told you but I did a straight swap with a R3 and my XR when I got the new back in 2008, the R3 was the strangest bike I've owned, I would love it one day and hate it the next. Had it for 18 months and never got to the bottom of what I didn't get along with. The Thruxton is great in every way (other than that EFI fucking witchcraft :)) more so now with 140hp.....

The XR has been neglected over the past few months because of the Thruxton but I fired it up the other day and took it for a spin and I'm still smiling ........# Torque Monster.. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Dancing dude.gif
Dancing dude.gif (11.38 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Resuraction (1) - Copy.jpg
Resuraction (1) - Copy.jpg (153.14 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Billy
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Billy » Sat May 20, 2017 8:06 am

Scotty wrote:
Billy wrote:I quite fancied on of those new Triumph Bobbers, but if the engine needs supercharged, I'd best stay clear of Trumpets for the moment. Although I'm told a 3L Rocket is in the pipeline. I wonder what that's like with a Supercharged!!! Next project Scotty??? :D


Hi Geno, Frank, Yorkie and Rob.......................................

Billy I had a ride on a Bobber a few weeks ago (some half-wit I know bought one because he is a posing tosser), engine is in a totally different state of tune than the Thruxton...I liked the Bobber in a Harley cruiser sort of way, really laid back with lots of low end grunt.
As far as the Rocket III goes, I don't know if i ever told you but I did a straight swap with a R3 and my XR when I got the new back in 2008, the R3 was the strangest bike I've owned, I would love it one day and hate it the next. Had it for 18 months and never got to the bottom of what I didn't get along with. The Thruxton is great in every way (other than that EFI fucking witchcraft :)) more so now with 140hp.....

The XR has been neglected over the past few months because of the Thruxton but I fired it up the other day and took it for a spin and I'm still smiling ........# Torque Monster.. :mrgreen:


Funny all that Scotty...........

I actually have a Rocket 3 at the moment. I just bought it last year as a 'Bucket List' bike to see what it was like. However, it's what I was thinking of trading for a Bobber, as they've offered me more than I paid for it....and I've had one now. Like you say, I can't make my mind up about the Rocket; I like the fact that it's an absolute beast to ride, although the handling can be scary on bumpy sweepers, the torque on tap is phenomenal, and it does feel planted on smooth roads. The Triumph Rep tells me they're now working on a 3 Litre version.

I loved the handling of the Bobber. I can't remember the last bike it was so easy to step onto and thrash it's nuts as hard as it would go. The handling was a pure revelation, but I thought it lacked power. Triumph 'claim' 76hp for the Bobber, while my XR was dynoed at 90hp at the back wheel and I could feel the difference; the heavy big XR seemed twice as torquey. Seems kinda shit for a new, liquid cooled motor, compared to the 'agricultual' big american V twin of the same cc. A friend suggested getting it remapped with the Thruxton tune, as they have the same engine. Whadda ya think? Visually, I think the Bobber is a thing of Beauty.....and I've never had a'Bonny'.....could be another Bucket List thing!
Scotty
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Scotty » Sat May 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Billy wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Billy wrote:I quite fancied on of those new Triumph Bobbers, but if the engine needs supercharged, I'd best stay clear of Trumpets for the moment. Although I'm told a 3L Rocket is in the pipeline. I wonder what that's like with a Supercharged!!! Next project Scotty??? :D


Hi Geno, Frank, Yorkie and Rob.......................................

Billy I had a ride on a Bobber a few weeks ago (some half-wit I know bought one because he is a posing tosser), engine is in a totally different state of tune than the Thruxton...I liked the Bobber in a Harley cruiser sort of way, really laid back with lots of low end grunt.
As far as the Rocket III goes, I don't know if i ever told you but I did a straight swap with a R3 and my XR when I got the new back in 2008, the R3 was the strangest bike I've owned, I would love it one day and hate it the next. Had it for 18 months and never got to the bottom of what I didn't get along with. The Thruxton is great in every way (other than that EFI fucking witchcraft :)) more so now with 140hp.....

The XR has been neglected over the past few months because of the Thruxton but I fired it up the other day and took it for a spin and I'm still smiling ........# Torque Monster.. :mrgreen:


Funny all that Scotty...........

I actually have a Rocket 3 at the moment. I just bought it last year as a 'Bucket List' bike to see what it was like. However, it's what I was thinking of trading for a Bobber, as they've offered me more than I paid for it....and I've had one now. Like you say, I can't make my mind up about the Rocket; I like the fact that it's an absolute beast to ride, although the handling can be scary on bumpy sweepers, the torque on tap is phenomenal, and it does feel planted on smooth roads. The Triumph Rep tells me they're now working on a 3 Litre version.

I loved the handling of the Bobber. I can't remember the last bike it was so easy to step onto and thrash it's nuts as hard as it would go. The handling was a pure revelation, but I thought it lacked power. Triumph 'claim' 76hp for the Bobber, while my XR was dynoed at 90hp at the back wheel and I could feel the difference; the heavy big XR seemed twice as torquey. Seems kinda shit for a new, liquid cooled motor, compared to the 'agricultual' big american V twin of the same cc. A friend suggested getting it remapped with the Thruxton tune, as they have the same engine. Whadda ya think? Visually, I think the Bobber is a thing of Beauty.....and I've never had a'Bonny'.....could be another Bucket List thing!


They don't have exactly the same engine Billy, the Thruxton is 11-1 compression and the Bobber and T120 are 10-1 that is achieved at the cylinder head. The only way round it is to either fit a Thruxton head or put some higher compression pistons in there. The Thruxton also has a lighter crank so spins up faster. Go test ride a Thruxton, I think you would love it. Other than the bars I cant fault the standard bikr...I've raised the bars 2 inches.
A standard Thruxton dynos at about 86hp at the rear wheel and 75ft/lb of TQ. I seriously doubt that the Thruxton tune would work in the Bobber due to the compression difference.
The Bobber is very long legged (lazy) with the gearing, and the Thruxton is very short legged (busy). I have geared my Thruxton to somewhere in the middle of the two. IMO the Bobber would benefit greatly with the same gearing, which just means changing sprockets (about £65) but I would have to sit down and spend some time working out exactly what sprockets you would need to get the same gearing, as the Bobber rear wheel is a different size to the Thruxton.
Billy
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Thruxton Supercharged

Postby Billy » Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Cheers for that Scotty. Thought it might be too simple to just get a remap. I'll ask about a shot on the Thruxton next time I'm in the shop. Still love the look of the Bobber though.

Return to “British Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest