You have to laugh!

Talk about anything, except politics, none of that, and religion, none of that either
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

You have to laugh!

Postby Rob_Wakey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 pm

I am currently abroad since very early Sunday doing some structural surveys on a number of retail stores for one of our clients, the big bad Tesco.

had a great three/four days in Czech Republic working and today drove over to Slovakia ready for my next surveys. The roads are like tracks and in one place coming over the mountains it was a concrete carriageway that was covered in linear cracks (thats across the carriageway) cracked like nothing I've ever seen and in lots of places areas had subsided leaving a random pattern of pothole with vertical edges to avoid. There were roadworks in various locations and road was being repaired in bits and pieces.

I was trying to miss all the bloody potholes when 'bang', the front right crashes down one and literally blows up!

Pull over, dig out my luggage form the boots, find the spare ( a space saver), put on my nice new hi-vis I find there as its law if you break down to wear one, fit the stupid space saver thing, wipe my hands clean on the new, now not so sparkling, hi-vis and call the hire company to report it and to arrange replacement.

It went like this:-

"Hi, I am afraid I have had a tyre blow out on me and need it replaced or a new car please)

"Sorry sir it is a bank holiday here, (Krakow airport, Poland where I started from) but tomorrow if you drive back to the Polish border we will fit a new tyre"

Me " thats very kind but I am over 200 miles from the border which also entails crossing the mountains which from where I am, look to have a bit of snow on them, and to coin an english phrase, 'buggered if I'm going to try that matey', this is without the fact I have a hotel booked tonight and a meeting tomorrow morning that cannot be cancelled as there are people arriving from Prague"

Them "I'll call you back in five minutes"

Calls back " How about you drive to the border first and then go to your meeting? "

Me " So I have to leave my hotel about 4am to get to the border, hope I don't slide off the road and then try to get to my meeting? Errrm sorry but that is unacceptable. Tell you what I will buy the new tyre and you reimburse me?"

Them " you have to buy two as its law that both wheels have the same tread pattern"

Me "oh right. . I'm not buying two"

Them "I'll call back in five minutes"

Calls back "Hi we can meet you half way?"

Me "Nope I have a meeting at Tesco, Brezno in the morning, if you are not there to collect or fix it I will hire another car and cancel the one with you on my card"

Them "I'll call you back in five minutes"

Calls back "great news we can meet you at that store at 11.30 in the morning to replace the wheel"

Me " Well fancy that"
After me you're first :twisted:
Yorkie
Site Staff

Re: You have to laugh!

Postby Yorkie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:23 pm

Going to have to call you 'The Negotiator' 8-) ........A bit like The Terminator, but in a suit and tie. :D
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Yorkie wrote:Going to have to call you 'The Negotiator' 8-) ........A bit like The Terminator, but in a suit and tie. :D

More like jeans and T shirt mate over here.

They turned up as promised, two lads in a hatchback with a whole new wheel and tyre in the boot!

Took the knackered one, and off they went.

I then had a nice drive over the mountains from Brezno in Slovakia to Krakow. Fantastic views from what I could see in places but very cloudy up high. It was a bit surreal seeing about 18" of snow at the side of the roads up the top when we never get any.

Still end of the last day and back home via Liverpool tomorrow, fingers crossed for a dry few hours something over the weekend as I want to try out my snazzy new (well EBay) Airhawk seat pad, plus I want to have a go at fitting the Oxford grips so if you get bored !!!! ;)
Yorkie
Site Staff

Postby Yorkie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Rob_Wakey wrote:Still end of the last day and back home via Liverpool tomorrow, fingers crossed for a dry few hours something over the weekend as I want to try out my snazzy new (well EBay) Airhawk seat pad, plus I want to have a go at fitting the Oxford grips so if you get bored !!!! ;)

No time for boredom Rob......I've got lots of trees to cut down......Best not come too close when i'm out with my chainsaw. I tend to get carried away :P
Andburg

Postby Andburg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 am

You had to say dry didn’t you rob!!

Bloody cursed us
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:16 am

Andburg wrote:You had to say dry didn’t you rob!!

Bloody cursed us

Errmrmmm. . . sorry Andy, just emerged from my jet lag sleep (amazing what a difference an hours time difference makes!) and seen the dampness outside. . . . . . . oh well no grass cutting for me. . . still, I've got these grips to fit . . . . . . a couple of reports to write. . . . . . some drawings to check. . . . . . . . . plus CoD WWII is here!!!!
Yorkie
Site Staff

Postby Yorkie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 am

Sun has just begun to break through here at chez Yorkie :D
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Yorkie wrote:Sun has just begun to break through here at chez Yorkie :D

Broke through here about 2pm. . Then thought better of it and buggered off again an hour later. :shock:

Return to “General Chat”