Is it "just that time of year again?"

Talk about anything, except politics, none of that, and religion, none of that either
User avatar
Tom
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Tom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:13 pm

... Image

Unbenannt-2.jpg
Unbenannt-2.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
User avatar
Pete R
Site Staff
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:20 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Pete R » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 pm

LOL 'a picture paints a thousand words' ......................or more in Rob's case.

Personally I'm fine with the way things are, from my POV this site was never intended to be like the one we all previously came from. I'd rather see a few people posting good posts than thousands posting ramblings, there is facebook or plenty of other sites on the net for that. I believe we have a good core of knowledgeable owners who are happy to share their expertise and there's always something of interest posted daily.

I miss our Aussie friends though. I do wish they'd come back.

Anyhoo the site hosting and registration has been renewed and is in place for another year, so we'll just keep building the knowledge base and membership, hopefully more folks will contribute as they are able.

The one thing we do need to sort out is a meet, I'm still back and forwards to hospital but am OK to travel distances now so am up for it wherever we decide.

Alternatively I suppose I could look at organising something locally, does anyone fancy a trip to Cornwall? Or do we all join Rob on one of his Gallic jollies?
User avatar
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 am
Location: Wakefield West Yorks

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Rob_Wakey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Think I'm more in the rambling mode Pete sometimes. :shock: . . . . Yea I agree it's better that we aren't like the other lot.
After me you're first :twisted:
CT XR rider
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby CT XR rider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:22 am

Rob_Wakey wrote:. . . . Yea I agree it's better that we aren't like the other lot.


That's bull shit Rob, look I like you and the bunch over here, you might have had issues with one or two at the XROG, but we don't deserve to be painted with the same brush, we all joined for the same reason, the common ownership of a particular model of motorcycle that we still own even though it's been out of production for nearly 4 years,
we are getting new members all the time, and some are quite excited to find out what can be done to personalize it to their own liking, and it's not just me pointing out their dipstick isn't on properly, some of them are doing some very nice things.
Do we miss you guys, Thomgoo, Yorkie, Scotty, Sam and Art and the Aussies, sure we do!, but we are grown men, and should have thicker skin.
I wish you would drop the "we against them" mentality, I see you decided to part with your XR anyway, I wish you luck with whatever's in your future, and I just want to extend an open invitation to any former members to stop in and say hi, I know many of you do occasionally stop by to see what's going on.
Sorry if I appear to be ranting, that was not my intention.
Regards
Roy
User avatar
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 am
Location: Wakefield West Yorks

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Rob_Wakey » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:50 am

CT XR rider wrote:
Rob_Wakey wrote:. . . . Yea I agree it's better that we aren't like the other lot.


That's bull shit Rob, look I like you and the bunch over here, you might have had issues with one or two at the XROG, but we don't deserve to be painted with the same brush, we all joined for the same reason, the common ownership of a particular model of motorcycle that we still own even though it's been out of production for nearly 4 years,
we are getting new members all the time, and some are quite excited to find out what can be done to personalize it to their own liking, and it's not just me pointing out their dipstick isn't on properly, some of them are doing some very nice things.
Do we miss you guys, Thomgoo, Yorkie, Scotty, Sam and Art and the Aussies, sure we do!, but we are grown men, and should have thicker skin.
I wish you would drop the "we against them" mentality, I see you decided to part with your XR anyway, I wish you luck with whatever's in your future, and I just want to extend an open invitation to any former members to stop in and say hi, I know many of you do occasionally stop by to see what's going on.
Sorry if I appear to be ranting, that was not my intention.
Regards
Roy



Roy

That's the point, my remark was said tongue in cheek but as was the case in a lot of instances previously, it is taken out of context and seen as a pop at the other site which wasn't the intention.

If you read Petes post. he said he mentioned countless ramblings, as it was also pointed out that I had the most posts I was digging at myself about countless ramblings. ;)

As simplistic as it seems, we are two people separated by a common language, I honestly think that one of the biggest problems we had, in my opinion, is the fact the in the U.K. we can be self depreciating and take the piss out of each other without getting upset.

I do understand this difference in the way discussions can be perceived to the point that someone could be offended. I am from London and can be, how shall I put it, very animated if I think I have a point and I also use profound language continually, even in general conversation.

Anyway as it is very late here and I seem to be rambling I'll close this off. It is not an us and them thing and hopefully you can now see what I was trying to say in my response to Pete?

PS if you read my other post you will see that I am keeping the XR and it was only ever a half hearted idea in the first place. 8-)

PPS I occasionally look in as a guest but don't tell anyone ;)
After me you're first :twisted:
The Burpster
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:23 am

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby The Burpster » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:12 am

I'm getting me sarnies and a flask..... :D

Yeah you're right Art, I have been away a while and actually contemplating getting rid of the bikes completely. Guess you cannot truly understand unless you have owned horses, 6months of the year are great, while the other 6 months are very very hard work.

I was hoping retirement would bring me time to spend shooting, playing golf and wazzing about to rock gigs on the bike..... that didnt happen. :?
User avatar
Housey
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Housey » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 am

Rob_Wakey wrote:

PS if you read my other post you will see that I am keeping the XR and it was only ever a half hearted idea in the first place. 8-)


Rob, I can't believe you even admitted to it being a 1/2 hearted, I've only had mine for 10 months, but have decided it's a bike for life because ;
1. It's not performance oriented, ( some might find this to be controversial )
2. It's got character, ( Something Honda owners know nothing about, with the exception of the original Fireblade owners )
3. It won't depreciate, ( I can waste money without my bikes helping me )
4. Do HD owners ever get done for Speeding ? :D
5. I have a smile on my face everytime I get of it, ( hopefully that will change once I get the re-upholstered seat back ) :shock:
6. Do you ever see two the same, everybody will personalise theirs, although some of the changes will be 'standard ones' (Power Commander, SuperTrapp on mine, just about everyone will change fuelling and exhaust because the factory standard was shit, enough to put me off buying one when they first came out )

Anyway enough ramblings, back to original point, Rob it should never have been more then 1/32nd hearted ( or 0.03125 hearted for those born after 1971 )

PS Continue taking the Piss etc, lifes no fun without it. Although it has been banned where I work because of the effeminate & PC nature of the younger generation :lol:
If it ain't broke, chances are I didn't touch it :roll:
User avatar
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 am
Location: Wakefield West Yorks

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Rob_Wakey » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

Housey wrote:
Rob_Wakey wrote:

PS if you read my other post you will see that I am keeping the XR and it was only ever a half hearted idea in the first place. 8-)


Rob, I can't believe you even admitted to it being a 1/2 hearted, I've only had mine for 10 months, but have decided it's a bike for life because ;
1. It's not performance oriented, ( some might find this to be controversial )
2. It's got character, ( Something Honda owners know nothing about, with the exception of the original Fireblade owners )
3. It won't depreciate, ( I can waste money without my bikes helping me )
4. Do HD owners ever get done for Speeding ? :D
5. I have a smile on my face everytime I get of it, ( hopefully that will change once I get the re-upholstered seat back ) :shock:
6. Do you ever see two the same, everybody will personalise theirs, although some of the changes will be 'standard ones' (Power Commander, SuperTrapp on mine, just about everyone will change fuelling and exhaust because the factory standard was shit, enough to put me off buying one when they first came out )

Anyway enough ramblings, back to original point, Rob it should never have been more then 1/32nd hearted ( or 0.03125 hearted for those born after 1971 )

PS Continue taking the Piss etc, lifes no fun without it. Although it has been banned where I work because of the effeminate & PC nature of the younger generation :lol:



Housey, it was a bit like the mid life crisis thing, mind you when that happened I left the wife (no 2) and went to live in Tasmania for four months!, because I rather fancied getting an old school style chopper :shock:

There was one for sale near me, well strung together, rode well and I thought I can't justify three bikes sooooooo. . . .

. . . anyway it's gone now and after using the XR a couple for a couple of commutes to work this week I realised I'd be upset if it went.

The Versys is a great bike, handles, stops and goes well, is comfy and is just there? On the other hand I love the engine on the XR, the involvement it takes to ride it (the noise obviously) and of course you lot. 8-) :D
After me you're first :twisted:
User avatar
Yorkie
Site Staff
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Yorkie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am

Pete R wrote:LOL 'a picture paints a thousand words' ......................or more in Rob's case.

Personally I'm fine with the way things are, from my POV this site was never intended to be like the one we all previously came from. I'd rather see a few people posting good posts than thousands posting ramblings, there is facebook or plenty of other sites on the net for that. I believe we have a good core of knowledgeable owners who are happy to share their expertise and there's always something of interest posted daily.

I miss our Aussie friends though. I do wish they'd come back.

Anyhoo the site hosting and registration has been renewed and is in place for another year, so we'll just keep building the knowledge base and membership, hopefully more folks will contribute as they are able.

The one thing we do need to sort out is a meet, I'm still back and forwards to hospital but am OK to travel distances now so am up for it wherever we decide.

Alternatively I suppose I could look at organising something locally, does anyone fancy a trip to Cornwall? Or do we all join Rob on one of his Gallic jollies?


I think someone 'local-ish' should make some suggestions on a summer meet down in Devon/Cornwall area. We've not done that area before now, so why not now? Will need to plan and book ahead a bit though, otherwise other stuff will get in the way and then the feckin snow will decend on the grim norf and it'll be another biking year over for folks like me with arthritis wrists and knees.

...just saying..
User avatar
Art
Site Staff
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:05 am
Location: Christchurch UK

Re: Is it "just that time of year again?"

Postby Art » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:19 am

Pete R wrote:LOL 'a picture paints a thousand words' ......................or more in Rob's case.

Personally I'm fine with the way things are, from my POV this site was never intended to be like the one we all previously came from. I'd rather see a few people posting good posts than thousands posting ramblings, there is facebook or plenty of other sites on the net for that. I believe we have a good core of knowledgeable owners who are happy to share their expertise and there's always something of interest posted daily.

I miss our Aussie friends though. I do wish they'd come back.

Anyhoo the site hosting and registration has been renewed and is in place for another year, so we'll just keep building the knowledge base and membership, hopefully more folks will contribute as they are able.

The one thing we do need to sort out is a meet, I'm still back and forwards to hospital but am OK to travel distances now so am up for it wherever we decide.

Alternatively I suppose I could look at organising something locally, does anyone fancy a trip to Cornwall? Or do we all join Rob on one of his Gallic jollies?


Pete, I'll be down your way 9th-16th June. Staying just around the corner from the McD's at Hale. Hope to see ya then.
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! " :twisted:

Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest