Riders Ex-race bike for sale again

Pictures and info on the XR1200 race series and bikes.
Nick H.

Re: Riders Ex-race bike for sale again

Postby Nick H. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Well that sounds very promising...I was assuming it would be painful to be around.

Also, I've just calculated that the power to weight ratio is a tiny bit better than my current bike, a K1100RS. Which is not exactly a hyperbike, but if I had more power the issue would be 100 coming up the whole time on short straights. It's everyone's usual dilemma - how do you have fun on a bike if you don't wring its neck? I can't do track days all the time, I don't really like them anyway. I just want to thrash my bike around the South East. I had to get rid of my Hayabusa because I'd be doing 150 on the A3 every week. The RSV Mille, ZX10 and MV 750 weren't so bad but they were still a self-discipline issue which could be resolved only by selling them or making them into track bikes. My most successful bikes, in terms of fun and mileage, were the 1100GS and 1150GS. But the Euan and Charlie factor became massively annoying. The current 1250GS would probably be ideal for me, but 14 or 15 grand seems silly. For that money I'd want something exotic with carbon wheels.

So the Harris XR12 seems like I could have the GS-type fun of chasing sportsbikes and being very annoying...but on a Harley! What a fantastic notion! Maybe it's my perfect bike!

OTOH I want to try one of these 200 bhp monsters with computerised everything to make them usable on the South Circular in the rain...that sounds like some sort of nirvana. I'll test ride the 2019 S1000R soon.

Also on my list is a Bimota YB11. Thunderace EXUP engine. 6k for a nice one. Quite practical, for a Bimota. Light touring would be doable. And it's a Bimota!
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi Nick

I ran an XR for three years, great bike.

I had a few mods such as exhaust, air filter, tuner and also the famous “Scotty mod” with help from Compo.

Lovely bikes to ride, handle pretty well and fast enough for most.

Seen the race bike for sale but as my earlier post, I reckon it’s over priced. One of the guys that was here used to have one of Jeremy Mc Williams bikes, ride all round the country on it and it still had the racing bit of thin sponge for a seat!

I’m considering getting one for commuting as it would be ideal with the riding position and torque. Only repacked it as I do go touring and longer rides and it isn’t really built for that.

Good luck with your search.
After me you're first :twisted:
Compo

Postby Compo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:25 pm

Rob_Wakey wrote:Hi Nick

I ran an XR for three years, great bike.

Lovely bikes to ride, handle pretty well and fast enough for most.

I’m considering getting one for commuting as it would be ideal with the riding position and torque.

I hope you get another one Rob, like you've said before they are a great second bike, I do too many full day rides for it to be my only bike.

I had two serious offers for mine last year considerably more than I value it at, I was tempted but I enjoy it too much so its staying - for now anyway! ;)
I'm not racist, I'll race anyone!
Compo

Postby Compo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm not racist, I'll race anyone!
Housey

Postby Housey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Few more months and there could be a real bargain there at this rate :lol:
If it ain't broke, chances are I didn't touch it :roll:
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:07 pm

I’m waiting. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Housey

Postby Housey » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:22 am

I'm waiting . . . Faster :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:11 am

.. . . . . . mind you it’ll need lights for it to be useful to me :lol:
Nick H.

Postby Nick H. » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:19 pm

What are the downsides in daily use, as a general runabout and for touring? Short range I suppose?
Housey

Postby Housey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:13 am

Nick H. wrote:What are the downsides in daily use, as a general runabout and for touring? Short range I suppose?

It's got the normal size tank, so you should get 100+ miles, looks like the seat has been padded so should be that uncomfortable, but you will need to add lights and the necessary switches.
Oh and it might sound a bit 'throaty' :lol:

Return to “XR1200 Racing Bikes and Series.”