HPA vs. Blackhorn

Mods that make the XR even better
Art
Site Staff

HPA vs. Blackhorn

Postby Art » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:09 pm

HPA vs. Blackhorn

I had always believed that the Free Spirits Blackhorn was always almost as good as the Twin Motorcycles HPA. Recently I had the opportunity to run a Dyno tune on my bike with the Blackhorn to compare with my original tune with the HPA, the results are quite startling.

My bike runs Hammer Crush heads with 15 degree reverse dome (Buell style) pistons in Hammer 1250 jugs, Redshift 575 cams and a Torquehammer II Race exhaust. When the bike was first set up with the HPA the pick up and acceleration where quite astounding. Over a period of time I had swapped out the HPA for a Blackhorn (I also tried the AirYorkie air cleaner but although it worked well the 3D printed body had a few issues with handling extreme heat). Soon after this I sold the bike.
Recently I purchased the bike back with a thousand miles more on the clock and 18 months of road grime. After a service and damn good clean I started riding the bike around and felt there was something missing, the bike had a bit of a stutter on first take up and just didn't have the Oomph I remembered. I took the bike back to Boz to dial in the Blackhorn on the Dyno. It was way different from the outset, the air flow to each cylinder is totally different on each different filter. After a complete dyno tune and adjustment of virtually every cell the Blackhorn made 5HP and 4 ft lbs Torque "|LESS" than the HPA and there was just no more to be had.
ImageImage
All this was achieved on the same dyno with no other changes to the bike, just the air cleaners.
I am now converted back to the virtues of Dris's extensive research and development of the original HPA and firmly now believe it is "as good as it gets". Big thumbs up to Twin M/C's
I can't wait to get HPA re-installed and put my old map back in the ecu.
As soon as Dris at TM can send me the HPA I will have a spare Blackhorn and Yorkie trim for sale if anyone prefers the looks of this set up. For me? I will stick with the HPA.... quite a difference in the way it gets the air into the throttle body.
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! " :twisted:
Housey

Re: HPA vs. Blackhorn

Postby Housey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Art, good to see the dyno printouts, interesting bit about the different air intakes/boxes :o

I personally like the look of the original, but think the HPA is an improvement on that look with the mesh on the side as well :D

I think a few are going to be surprised by the improvement over the Blackhorn :shock:

So the surge I experienced at 3k is now even stronger, therefore I think you better put velcro on your grips seeing as you're to old for a race seat :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it ain't broke, chances are I didn't touch it :roll:
Tom

Postby Tom » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Arthur, here your two dyno results in one pic; you can download or link it...

Art
Site Staff

Postby Art » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Tom wrote:Arthur, here your two dyno results in one pic; you can download or link it...

Thanks buddy, hoping to get decent multi run charts next visit to Dyno rather lay over charts but it does show significant drop off. Going by Morts 1250 dyno runs with Blackhorn, he achieved 111HP but his Torque was significantly less. I think the torque difference is down to cams, my bike with 575's has always shown better torque than the higher lift 605/591 cams. I cannot for the life of me understand why the overall performance should be that far down across the board. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it next visit, hopefully Boz will be up for some back to back comparison runs.
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! " :twisted:
Pete R
Site Staff

Postby Pete R » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 am

As I said when we spoke Art, I don't think you can get much better than a properly set-up HPA and TorqueHammer system with a good map.

That's what I'm running although I have Dris's mapping on mine. Since this was fitted I feel that the XR delivers better power than my Buell, the Buell is a fairly standard XB12X apart from having a K&N filter fitted. The Buell possibly has more book HP but the XR just feels so much smoother throughout the range.

It will be interesting to see your results after Boz has worked his magic. ;)

Pete
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Hey Art, interesting charts, quick “idiots” question, why the very similar torque dip at 3.5k?
Power rises pretty consistently on both.
After me you're first :twisted:
Art
Site Staff

Postby Art » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 am

I think it's where the hamster gets given his cheese inside the little roller in the Dyno.
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:36 pm

idiot. . . . . :roll:
After me you're first :twisted:
Art
Site Staff

Postby Art » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:21 am

HPA vs. Blackhorn Conclusion

Yesterday I had a fantastic 150 mile trip along the south coast of Jolly old England to Rye in Kent to visit Boz. The Powerglides workshop from Maidstone has now been relocated to V Twin Custom in Rye and offers everything your Harley could ever need. I took my newly installed HPA filter to the Dyno to see the actual difference over the Blackhorn results back in October. I have to apologise to Free Spirits. It appears it is on par with the HPA. Since the last Dyno run with Blackhorn I have replaced the degraded packing in the silencer and refitted a new HPA airbox with a slightly used K&N filter (apparently the K&N for HPA is no longer available new). The Dyno run after re installing my original HPA map were 104hp with 90lbs torque. This is down slightly on torque but up slightly on hp over the results I had with the Blackhorn tune. My conclusion is that both air filters are great but indeed BOTH FILTERS are in the same ball park as far as performance goes, they just shift the air in a slightly different way.. As for my missing ponies, I think this can be explained away by calibration and correction factors on the Dyno. The Dyno itself has been moved from it’s original home in Maidstone down to the coast in Rye, Kent. Because it is now on the coast Boz, the tuner, no longer uses any correction factors as he is working at sea level. My original 108hp/95lbs tune was done at the original site and was done using a correction factor. The difference in results can be explained thus.. a slight wear on the motor since build combined with perhaps an optimistic correction factor on the very first tune and the recalibration of the Dyno after it’s move down to the coast. My repacking of the silencer May have a slight contributional effect.

Twin Motorcycles now offer an alternative filter for their HPA airbox. As the K&N cannot be bought new any longer Twin M/C's have introduced their own filter. It is claimed that testing shows the new filter has improved airflow over the K&N they originally used. On a personal note I did my experiments with the used K&N because I wanted exactly the same characteristics as I was comparing the original tune from 2012 to what my bike has now. I had intended to run an extra dyno run with the new Twin filter but unfortunately Dyno time was limited, sorry Dris.
geno

Postby geno » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Nice reporting Art! Thanks for sharing!
Last night I felt Immortal.
This morning I feel dead.

Return to “Modifications”