My Poor Mans GS

All the main Japanese manufacturers
Compo

My Poor Mans GS

Postby Compo » Sat May 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Thats how some people refer to my new to me 2014 Suzuki V Strom 1000 :D

I sold my BMW GS at the end of last year, it was a good bike and I eventually warmed to it, I even miss it sometimes.

I needed another practical do-it-all bike to transport me and the missus to far off destinations in relative comfort. I had a list of likely contenders, I've always liked the V-Strom so I bought one, the Pikes Peak Multistrada will probably be next, I have a long list of bikes I want to own eventually.

Anyway the 2014 V-Strom 1000 is a a bit of an unsung hero, one of those bikes that goes about its business quietly and efficiently under the radar. I love the engine, a V twin which can trace its ancestry back to the TL1000 S and R albeit in detuned form, its only about 99bhp but its the torque that matters and 76 lbs ft at a low 4000 rpm doesn't disappoint, fill it up with fuel, pillion and luggage and it doesn't notice. That motor has to be heard, its gear driven cams give it a distinctive sound, a sweet whirring sound and coupled with a typical Suzuki smooth changing gearbox it is a joy to use.

I like the gold coloured forks fitted to the 2014 models, they go well with the red panels. The big comprehensive instruments are easy to read, important at my age and look how conveniently placed the accessory power outlet is. The suspension has all the adjustment you could need, the front mudguard is full size protecting the front of the engine and the screen is easily adjusted whilst riding, its obviously been designed by a motorcyclist.

It was exactly half the price of a comparable GS but its no lesser bike which makes it good value for money to me! Ok it has a chain that has to be maintained but its light and cheap to replace if and when.

So is it a poor mans BMW ? Yes I suppose if you've only owned the BMW, No if you've owned both ;)

6.5.19 1 rs.jpg
6.5.19 1 rs.jpg (182.09 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

6.5.19 10 rs.jpg
6.5.19 10 rs.jpg (179.87 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

V Strom rs.jpg
V Strom rs.jpg (153.96 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
I'm not racist, I'll race anyone!
geno

Re: My Poor Mans GS

Postby geno » Tue May 28, 2019 6:08 pm

That looks like a sweet ride Compo!
Last night I felt Immortal.
This morning I feel dead.
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Looks good Compo, I’ll have to meet up sometime for a proper look, maybe a brew at the new oil can one weekend?
After me you're first :twisted:
Compo

Postby Compo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:04 am

I've used this bike all summer and really enjoyed it, only criticism was the original screen which didn't work for me, lots of buffeting and noise so I replaced it with a Givi screen similar to the one I had on the GS, what a difference, its like riding along in still air. I checked the average fuel consumption over my ownership and was pleasantly surprised to see its averaged 64.1mpg 8-)

15.9.19 1 rs.jpg
15.9.19 1 rs.jpg (101.08 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

It feels a very light bike compared with others that i've owned and ridden and I thought it must be because it carries its weight low down but after weighing it I discovered it is actually quite light at 230kg ready to go! As a comparison the XR which is about half the physical size weighed 235kg on the same scales :D

rs.jpg
rs.jpg (98.15 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi Compo

So you’re a bit taken by the V then it looks.

Actual lay went past your work place a week or so ago but didn’t realise until I was half way to Shepley lol

If the weather eases at all I’ll pop over that way.
Compo

Postby Compo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Yes Rob the Strom is a very underrated bike, I like it a lot!

Call by sometime, be good to have a catch up ;)
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:57 am

Compo wrote:Yes Rob the Strom is a very underrated bike, I like it a lot!

Call by sometime, be good to have a catch up ;)

Yea a friend has the 650 and rates it a lot.

Will do mate be good to chat.

Return to “Japanese Bikes”