My R1150GS

Deutsche Technic
Compo

My R1150GS

Postby Compo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:57 pm

At the beginning of last summer I needed a bike with a good pillion seat that would do 300 miles a day in relative comfort. I bought another Hayabusa but the seller let me down at the last minute, maybe I was gazumped who knows, anyway a mate was selling a few of his toys and asked if I wanted his old 1150GS, I didn't really but I've known the bike for quite a few years and knew it was well maintained so I thought why not, there are tens of thousands of happy owners circumnavigating the planet on them and if I didn't like it I could soon move it on.

So my first ride on it was a 200 mile taster to the seaside and I absolutely hated the thing, I got home and wrote the for sale advert.

My 2 complaints

1. I couldn't believe how clunky the gearbox is, by the time I got home I'd given up changing gear I just left it in 4th or 5th, if you throw a 24mm spanner into a metal bucket thats a good description of changing down, the XR has a heavy gearchange compared with your average Jap bike but its slick compared to the BMW.

2. The vibration, I got on the motorway and at 80 my eyes were all over, they were spinning round, I laughed but it wasn't funny, upto 75 was smooth and I found out 85 and over was good too but I wasn't expecting that.

Apart from that its a good bike, very good, its a quality product built to last, exhibiting minimal wear and tear for its 15 years and highish miles. The handling is excellent, its heavy but it carries its weight low, the telelever and paralever go about their business unnoticed, the sign of a good suspension set up and the non-abs brakes are powerful with good feel and with no fork dive the headlamp maintains your vision down unlit roads (unless your doing 80 lol)

So why have I still got it? well I forced myself to use it and the more miles I did the more I accepted it and the missus likes it, she loves the top box, its like her mobile handbag. The handguards and heated grips have spoilt me and I like the noise it makes, it thrums along like a WW2 bomber.

R1150GS at Brid 6.8.17 resize.jpg
R1150GS at Brid 6.8.17 resize.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
I'm not racist, I'll race anyone!
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Re: My R1150GS

Postby Rob_Wakey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Nice report Compo, still not sure about them but then I've never ridden one.

What is it with these and that beak thing at the front WTF is it supposed to be there for other than a pretty weird (IMO) styling exercise?
After me you're first :twisted:
Compo

Postby Compo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Rob_Wakey wrote:
What is it with these and that beak thing at the front WTF is it supposed to be there for other than a pretty weird (IMO) styling exercise?

The beaks an 'adventure' bike thing, stops the shit flying up all over you, apparently. I don't think i'll be doing much mud-plugging anyway

Have a go on one or the newer 1200, you might like it ;)
I'm not racist, I'll race anyone!
Yorkie
Site Staff

Postby Yorkie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 am

I sooo nearly bought one on about three occasions in the past, but ended up each time with something....um....not BMW.

I have to agree with you though Peter. They are great motorcycles.
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 pm

People swear by them, just not convinced with the style/hype myself.
After me you're first :twisted:

Return to “German Bikes”