Livewire linup

Other US made bikes that aren't XR1200s
sturgis

Livewire linup

Postby sturgis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Are we going to talk about the livewire linup?
Mixed feelings in the comment section on all platforms, a lot of hate :shock: .
Who is it for? Who is Harley for?
They have been hinting on reaching out to younger generations, I bet this wasn't what people had in mind.

From Harleys instagram:
"harleydavidson
We’re committed to staying a leader in heavyweight touring as well as cruisers AND we’re exploring new roads to reach even more riders, with our lightweight electric concepts. Our goal for these bikes is to not require a motorcycle license to operate. ⚡"

I'm from Stockholm, we're looking at Copenhagen the bicycle capital of the world and are trying to adapt more to that. Air quality, traffic jams and all that stuff, I bet you have the same discussions in your hometown :) .
At the moment electric rental scooters are taking over the city, they attract the younger generations and generates good money.

Whats your take on this?

Does it make you upset?
Or is this for you?
Is Harley doing the right thing?

geno

Re: Livewire linup

Postby geno » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Electric bikes are cool. A couple of guys that i work with ride 'em to work everyday. They both ride Zeros

The Harley Livewire starts at $30,000 US. A bit rich for me to be interested in buying.
Last night I felt Immortal.
This morning I feel dead.
Rob_Wakey
Site Staff

Postby Rob_Wakey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 pm

I have to say I like the look of the Livewire. I would have no problem of using one as a commuter/local rides bike with my FB kept for the distance stuff.

Only a couple of things against that, its way too expensive at an anticipated £30K in the UK. . plus the range needs to increase.

As an example take today; I had a meeting 150 miles away that took, on our congested road system, 3 hours each way. Meeting was 2 hours.

Using an electric bike with a 100 mile range, or even a small car meant I would have had to stop at least once in each direction to charge the vehicle up. This would possibly take 1.5-2 hours each time.

Therefore my overall trip would have gone from 8 hours to at least 10 hours overall. Not realistic.

Half the price and double the range and it becomes a viable alternative (as do most electric vehicles) but at present they are not justifiable in my opinion.
After me you're first :twisted:
Art
Site Staff

Postby Art » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 pm

The whole concept works for me.
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! " :twisted:
Art
Site Staff

Postby Art » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 pm

The whole concept works for me.Just need to add the licence free sports wheelchair and I’ll be set....., along with half of US.
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! " :twisted:
Housey

Postby Housey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Sorry, but electric motorcycles do nothing for me, I love the roar of the engine too much :D
Although I am waiting for the first hybrid motorcycle, just to see what the acceleration is like :o
I suppose the extra weight of the batteries and motor would be a big disadvantage on a motorbike, althought I could go on a diet to compensate I suppose :lol: ( Not an F'ing chance of that )
If it ain't broke, chances are I didn't touch it :roll:
Compo

Postby Compo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Having ridden an electric motorcycle I can say I was very impressed, like others have said double the range and half the price and I would buy one.
I'm not racist, I'll race anyone!
Andburg

Postby Andburg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 am

This is where the market will go, for once Harley are trying to be ahead of the curve and get there before the Japanese flood the market.

Is 30k too much for existing riders? Definitely but it’s a different target audience.

I’d love to try one but for a national speed limit capable commuter bike the zero bikes are much close to the mark.
sturgis

Postby sturgis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm

I hear you, the pricetag is high but as with lots of other high end new stuff it starts off high and end up cheaper.
Graphic cards are an good example of new technology that start of high and quickly end up low.
The latest Gforce goes for 13-1600€, that thing is out of date within 2years.

Here's a rather long video but well made comparison between Zero and Livewire, I see the pricetag but lets be fair the Livewire is more than the Zero.

No thoughts on the electic bicycle/scooter? :)
People buy electic bicycles in Sweden for 3-5000€ easy, there's cheaper models but people tend to want nice things.
They're easy to cash in as vehicles are charged with green tariffs around city, shit loads of taxes on gas, parking space etc, that electric vehicles doesn't have.

Example: 4000€
Yorkie
Site Staff

Postby Yorkie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the 'engine' is so massive looking?

Looks out of proportion to the bike as a whole.

I have read very little about the bike. I suppose my guess would be that as it's been designed for long interstate hauls so has a huge battery pack???

...or could it be just HD macho styling??

Return to “US Machines”